A list of our past Post Commanders can be found here.
Post 1463 History
Lititz Springs Post 1463 Veterans of Foreign Wars was chartered on July 23, 1932 with seventeen members. Preceding the charter presentation a large parade took place with hundreds of members from various VFW posts marching in support of their fellow veterans. The July 28,1932 edition of the local newspaper reported that thousands of citizens gave thunderous applause to the marchers and the various drum corps who participated. Mr. G.W. Hackman, Civil War Veteran, and disabled veterans of World War 1 were transported along the parade route in cars. At the conclusion of the events James Maize was installed as the first post commander of the new VFW post.
Our first Post home was located in a garage on Middle Lane. Shortly after that, the Post moved to 109 N. Broad Street, which now houses American Legion, Garden Spot Post 56 of Lititz. After leaving 109 N. Broad Street the Post moved to our present location, 14 North Spruce Street.
Chartered 75 years ago, Lititz Springs Post 1463, Veterans of Foreign Wars, is believed to be one of the oldest VFW Post Home in Lancaster County.
At the time of the purchase the building was used for a tobacco warehouse. The purchase took place in 1940.
On July 1, 1946, the Ladies Auxiliary to Lititz Springs Post 1463 Veterans of Foreign Wars was chartered. They were a welcomed addition to the Post Home.
Tragedy struck our post home in the form of an early-morning fire on February 25, 1972.The conflagration almost destroyed the building. Fifty firemen from Lititz and Manheim fought the blaze. Icy streets and heavy fog made fire fighting difficult. When the flames were put out, the membership was looking at a hundred thousand-dollar loss ($100,000). Our future looked bleak, as a complete rebuilding job was evident. The fire was traced to faulty wiring.
Rebuilding began, after a delay in securing a building permit, and Post 1463 proudly reopened in early October of 1973, after a 20 month absence.. Shortly thereafter, a dedication ceremony was held.
In 1982 a mortgage burning ceremony was held in conjunction with the celebration of the 50th anniversary. Since then the interior and exterior have been renovated several times since the re-opening in 1973.
continue reading, Page 2